This contracted supported the ICDPR by drafting a short guide relevant to the potential synergies and conflicts in the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive and EU Floods Directive. The guide included the following:
- Brief outline of the legal background (WFD and FD) and relation to each other including synergies and potential conflicts will be pointed out.
- A database of measures for the improvement of river hydromorphology and measures to avoid new risks and for the reduction of existing risks stemming from floods (e.g. natural water retention measures, hard defence measures). The database included a qualitative assessment of mutual impacts of measures on WFD quality elements (e.g. physico-chemical QE, biological QE, hydromorphological QE, chemistry) and flood risk mitigation.
The guide was presented at the following meetings:
- 15th ICPDR Hydromorphology Task Group Meeting, 22 September 2015, Vienna;
- 28th ICPDR Flood Protection Expert Group Meeting, 14-15 October 2015, Budapest;
- Workshop on sustainable flood risk management and linkage to WFD, 11-12 November 2015, Zagreb.