The implementation of the MSFD presents many challenges and both Member States and the Commission have a significant task ahead of them in converting the principles outlined in the Directive into practices which will bring about an improved marine environment.
This framework contract supported the Commission with:
- Managing the CIS process, including the collection and handling of information
- Managing the CIRCA collaborative workspace for the Marine Strategy
- Planning and preparing follow-up meetings with MS and/or ad hoc working groups
- Organising workshops and training events for MS, candidate countries and international river basins
- Providing technical assistance to prepare technical documents, e.g. overviews, fact sheets or synthesis documents for specific areas, including the integration of marine environment conservation policy into other EU policies
- Elaborating standards and guidelines based on consolidated knowledge documents and the Commission decision on criteria and methodological standards on the good environmental status of marine waters